Monday, March 10, 2014

The Meaning of Food in My Life. (2)

 Meals are very important to me now a days. I have a whole slew of reasons why and I will  get into them. When I think back to when I was younger on a day to day basis it definitely was to fill a taste not a source of protein or energy. I do remember family gatherings on christmas,thanksgiving, and even easter sunday. Being that I am a native New Yorker and of italian decent this is something we do. Food is a big part of our culture and everything I mean everything is centered around the dinner table. For us  sharing food is one of those ways to be closer and enjoy the company of family and discuss life in general. Some of the funniest stories I have ever heard have come from my grandmothers dinner table. I have to honestly say not the healthiest of food culturally and the deserts were enough to make any diabetic run for the hills. Ironically a lot of the older members of my family were diabetic. Now that I think about it all the meat we would eat actually grosses me out now only because my lifestyle is a lot different presently.

 These days my food is a source of energy and health. I am very conscience of what I eat and when I eat because I am more in touch with my body. I try to eat at certain times and not late at night. All of these habits reflect how I feel and my performance during the day. For example I would have heavy meals past 6pm. It would consist of meat and carbs and the next day I felt so weighted down and tired for the early part of the day. It actually felt like a small hangover in some instances. I do all the shopping in my home and it is mostly meat and dairy free. The reasons for this are moral issues so I wont run on at about my personal morals and beliefs. I do all my own cooking and its a lot of steaming, boiling, and broiling rarely do I fry up stuff. I choose a healthier lifestyle because of the benefits and the prospect of long term living and how I feel on a day to day. I will not lie I am still a sucker for ice cream and certain other treats. I am no saint nor do I claim to be vegan however I do not eat pork and beef or chicken. Most days its fish,eggs or vegetables and It really has made a difference in my life. I do meet with my family on those holidays but I stay away from the stuff that I do not eat anymore. I have worked in the food industry and it was unhealthy food and I did eat it at times because I was hungry and needed a boost. I love good food but there are healthier options that will give you energy or keep you at a balanced weight that taste good too.

 It makes sense the saying "you are what you eat" I believe this to be true. If you eat like crap your gonna feel like crap that has been my experience. Everything in moderation and I don't think anyone has ever died form the occasional slice of apple pie but note the word "occasional". The role food plays in my life is huge it really determines and reflects how I feel about me.
LOVE

No comments:

Post a Comment